Monday, October 24, 2011

In the Wilderness

Last month, my class went on a field trip to Stanley, ID.  This is my environmental literature class so we were out there learning about wilderness, what it really is, how its managed, and the rules and regulations.  It was a fun trip! We only have 7 people in the class and only 5 of us plus the instructor went.


The first day we went to the Forest service and he talked to us about Leave no Trace and how to respect the land.  I actually learned a lot more than I thought I would.  Most importantly, I learned how to poop in the woods should that moment ever arise.  Who knew it was such a big deal but believe me, as much as it was talked about, it is a BIG deal. Then we hiked up above Redfish Lake and at lunch.  I won't lie, I thought I was going to die.  I was getting over a bad chest cold and I haven't been running at all since I hurt my feet, so I felt like an asthmatic must feel.  I couldn't breathe and I just  kept coughing.  Still, as miserable as it was, It was worth it.

Next we went to the Stanley Hatchery where I didn't really learn much since I have been well versed in the workings of fish hatcheries over the last year and a half, but their facility was very, very nice.  It was interesting to see that this facility operated so differently from the others.  This was my 4th hatchery I have visited and so far they have all been very unique.

That evening, we camped out in tents and had a campfire and good camaraderie.  I got to know my classmates better and it was a beautiful night with clear skies and lots of stars.  The next morning, the only thing on the agenda was a hike up the Iron Creek Trail.  This trail was a 9 mile trail round trip that went up to the Sawtooth Lake.  It started out really nice and flat for the first 2 miles.

It went through a meadow, and over a creek

After this meadow, the trail went up, and up and up.  It was a gradual incline but still my lungs still hadn't recovered so it was a little strenuous. Eventually we were on some granite rock trails and on our way to the lakes.
I was having trouble breathing still, the air was thinner and it was quite the hike but I still loved every minute of it.  We finally made it to the lakes where we had a quick snack and then turned around and trucked right on out.
This was a fun trip and I learned a lot and got to experience some great wilderness that is literally right out our door.  It is a relatively short drive from the Valley to get to the Stanley basin, and it is worth it to hop in the car and go see some amazing wilderness.  I hope by next year I am in better shape and we can go explore these mountains a little more.

No comments: