Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Joy of Home-ownership

The weather finally warned up this weekend.  It was FREEZING all last week and felt more like April than the first week of June.  But yesterday and today have been great, in fact its hard to not complain about the heat when it was barely 55 two days before and today its 80.  With the good weather though we have been able to get a few things done around the house.

When we moved into the house it had three rosebushes in the front landscaping surrounded by the ever-growing creeping myrtle and a "border" of large River rock.  I knew this stuff had to go.  Brent immediately cut down the unkept roses and I began to pull out the myrtle.  This is a before pic, but after the roses.


Once I got digging, this is what I found under all the myrtle.


Yep, instead of a border, this rock was covering the entire flower bed.  It was pretty brutal. It took me a few sessions to actually get it all out and cleared.  After generously donating the rock to the first person willing to come haul it away, I had a clear bed.


Finally I have the creative freedom to do what I like with a space.  Speaking of, we have made a few additions to the backyard.  Brent has his Rhubarb plant we picked up at our CSA Farm, Spyglass Gardens , and a neighbor was thinning out her Raspberry bushes so I took 4.


Now if we can only keep these crazy girls out of them!


I know, they look so innocent, but they are sneaky.  They like my pansies and sneak into the rhubarb and I have caught them pecking at the raspberries.  I have so many other projects, and not enough time but slowly we are getting it done.  Tackling the minor problems is nice, but thinking about the major ones is daunting.  For example, installing the microwave, repairing the drywall, needing some concrete poured and some miscellaneous handyman work done too, not to mention having a new kitchen faucet installed.  It seems the list is never ending.  The lawn sprinklers need work, a garden bed built for next year, weeding to be done, always trimming on the willow tree (blasted thing), knocking down bee hives, mowing the lawn.  And this is just the things I can think of off the top of my head not even counting all the cleaning to be done and laundry.  I find it is hard to do the indoor things when It is nice outside.  Id much rather be out doing yard work.  Maybe someday we will get around to finishing unpacking too.


No comments: