Friday, May 28, 2010

Move over Betty Crocker....

Well... not really, but I do think she would be impressed that is.  Thanks to my new BFF's Alton Brown and The Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond, my culinary experiences are leaning more towards the impressive side and less towards the "its edible but...." side. 

I am actually excited aobut learning to  make new things.  I have been spending too many hours perusing recipes and techniques, but like my favorite phrase of all time... knowledge is power.  Cooking really is an art, and I believe that all artists need to be passionate about their craft.  The closest experience I have had to passion about food is savoring it as it enters my mouth.  My long standing love affair with food is not an unknown fact,  my waistline can prove that.  Until now though, the actual thought of crafting something that is beautiful and delicious, never really seemed that interesting to me.  Thanks to network TV and thinks like Altons lovely scientific show Good Eats that caters specifically to my inner science geek, creating delicious meals is suddenly now more appealing and after a few rounds in the kitchen, I realize I CAN cook.

As I have mentioned before.. for all my good creations, there are bad ones.  So I'll begin there.  Who knew no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies would be a huge DESERT FAIL.  Yep, I goofed those up.. instead of firm mounds of chocolately goodness with a hint of peanut buttery flavor I ended up with a giant glob of gleatenous goo.  Sure it tasted ok , but after I plated it up (fancy cooking terms for you wanna-be-chefs) it fused into one giant oatmeal cookie that never firmed up!  I didn't feel the need to archive my catostrophic attempt.

Next fail, and I was not surprised, was my bread.  The bread I have eaten often at my kids preschool and had to borrow the recipe.  I ended up with about 8 mini loaves and 2 large loaves of dense, un-risen yeast bread.  Well, it rose halfway but almost only counts in horseshoes and honey we aren't playing picnic games here.  After talking to many, bread takes time and practice.. two things I have very little of, but I am determined to make it work.

Now for successes! I can now roast a chicken.  Yep you heard me, I had never roasted a chicken til about 2 weeks ago and it turned out great.. Rosmary and thyme chicken stuffed with garlic and  lemon.  It was soo good even the kids gobbled it up.  Brent is a little weary of  food that too much resembles its former life, but he might have to get over that.  It was just too easy and so versitile! (insert picture of roasted chicken that my budding photographer husband did not think was good enough to keep)

Next up.. Alton Browns Baked Macaroni and Cheese sans the onions and voila, instant success.  Super easy and after 2 meals the whole dish was consumed!


The day before I made some of Ree's Restaraunt-style Salsa.  I am super picky about my Salsa, but this turned out very good! It has been requested that I spice it up a bit more next time.  I can hardly wait to make it again.

Then I made her Panko-breaded Mozzarella Sticks.  Had these not been paired with the super cheesy dish above, they probably would have been a bigger hit.. Natalie loved them! 

 

Next I will attempt some Flank steak and Roasted Carrots.  I also plan on attempting homemade bread.. again, if only it would rise.



2 comments:

Shelly said...

Great recipes, Great looking pics!

I especially love the that was hilarious :)

You go girl - Betty Crocker beware!

Shannon said...

Finally, you post again! You act like you're busy or something! ;) Since seeing your fb post, I have also found a love for pioneer woman! I can NEVER get bread to rise, either! What's the trick? A gal at work offered me some hints, so I'll let you know if it works!