Monday, May 20, 2013

Social Media?

I posted last year about how I quit Facebook and those that know me well know how anti-social media I have become.  I don't understand twitter.. AT ALL and  MySpace is pretty much non-existent I think.  I was on  Fitocracy for a while and actually liked it and it motivated me a lot, but I find myself getting sucked into the social aspect of these sites.  I do have Google + set up right now, but I am already getting frustrated with it because I do not know how to manipulate it so I don't keep getting added to peoples circles and getting random messages from people I don't know.  And then there is Facebook.  The king of social media.  Its getting to the point now where you can't even view some companies sites because they replaced them with a Facebook page,  or they offer certain deals, but only if you "like" their page.  My kids were watching an episode of Scooby-doo today and there was a reference on there of "friend-ing and poking".  You can't escape it because it truly is everywhere.

I have personal reasons for wanting to avoid Facebook   I don't feel like getting sucked into the social media hype.  I think it can be detrimental to some people and relationships.  It allows emotions and behaviors to surface among people that under normal circumstances would be a non-issue.  I know this is not true with all people but for some I know it can cause problems.  It also frightens me knowing my kids are growing up in a social media age.  I can't keep them from it forever and there will be a time where they will engage in it and I cannot stop them.  I want them to be able to use the internet responsibly and understand the dangers that are present.  I am not about to let my pre-teens get a page of their own, but even the schools are utilizing sites that allow kids to converse with each other in social media type settings, although they are heavily monitored and only for school-related conversations.  I have seen the sites they are using and they resemble Facebook a lot.

When I started making aprons last winter I was trying to think of ways to promote them.  My friend suggested I use Facebook and immediately I said no way!.  I know I could reach a lot of people through there, and ever since I quit my job, I could really use the extra money.  I have made a few sales through etsy, and I have sold some aprons to family, and even though the craft show was successful, they are too few and far between to become profitable.  I have some displayed in a local shop and have only sold one there, plus I lose a lot on commissions there so it isn't really worth my time.

Brent has been thinking of rejoining Facebook also and is trying to convince me that it's just a tool.  I told him I'd be a hypocrite if I signed up again after I posted how proud I was to have quit.  I would love to sell some more aprons.  I am working on some new designs and I'd like to have a website for them but I am so technologically challenged.  I can't even get a proper blog set up.  I am relying on a standard Google template which is so boring and I don't want to shell out the $$ for someone to do it for me.

What do you think? If I opened up a Facebook page to promote my aprons, would I be a hypocrite?  Is it possible to utilize Facebook as a tool only for promotion without getting all caught up in the drama and hype that comes with it? I value any input that comes my way.

2 comments:

Sara Strand said...

I don't think you would be a hypocrite. Now, if you started your page and started sending game requests well then.... ;)

Shannon said...

Challenge yourself to utilize a facebook page for business only. Don't post status updates unless they relate to your work and don't get caught up reading what everyone else is doing. I think it really could boost your business. In regards to websites-- have you heard of weebly? We learned about that in a recent tech class I took. I guess it's super easy to use and you can personalize it pretty easily. We had to set up a google site for our online portfolios and I wasn't impressed.

I am shocked how much professionals rely on social media. It can be a great thing when it's used ethically. And you're right- they not only showed us different ways but ENCOURAGED us to use social media in our future classrooms!
These times are a-changin'
:)
Hope you're enjoying the SAHM gig!